Accommodation in Cape York
If you’re planning a trip to Cape York and want to know where to stay, here are a few of our favourite accommodation providers.
There’s nothing better than a hot meal, shower, and comfortable bed after a long day on the road exploring. Please remember that all of these places are owned and operated by locals, if you treat them right they can be a wealth of information, comfort, and safety to you. The opposite is also true!
- Lion’s Den Hotel – The Lions Den Hotel was established in 1875 and is a landmark made of timber and iron, famous for its quirkiness and the thousands of signatures from visitors past and present adorning the walls. Just 30km south of Cooktown overlooked by Black mountain and situated on the banks of the Little Annan River, surrounded by beautiful century-old mango trees. The Lion’s den is an Australian icon and well worth a visit. https://www.lionsdenhotel.net.au/
- Hann River Roadhouse – Located about 75km north of a town called Laura on the Peninsula Development Road. This family-friendly roadhouse offers hot meals, camping, and good fishing nearby in the Hann River. There is also a basic mechanical workshop available. The campsite is shady and green and there are various animals, including, wallabies, peacocks, a miniature horse, and an Emu called Ozzy to observe. https://www.facebook.com/hannriverroadhouse/
- Coen “Homestead” Guesthouse – “A home away from home” was built-in 1933, The Coen guest house is located right in the heart of Coen alongside Lankelly Creek. Best described as a little oasis, halfway to the tip, the Guesthouse exudes a warm and friendly atmosphere. https://www.coenguesthouse.com.au/
- Archer River Roadhouse – Set along the banks of the stunning Archer River, The Archer River Roadhouse is located on the Peninsula Development Road, 65 km north of Coen and approx. 385 km south of Loyalty Beach. Not just a roadhouse, they have a restaurant and bar, unit accommodation, and a Gum tree-laden camping ground at the back. https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=387110971346116
- Loyalty Beach Campground – located 40km from the tip of Australia, just north of a small town called Seisia, The loyalty beach campground offers 500m of grassed beachfront camping facilities. The Beachfront restaurant and bar is the perfect place to unwind and look out at the stunning view of Loyalty beach and the sunset. We highly recommend the fish and chips. https://www.loyaltybeach.au/
- Punsand Bay Campground – The most northern address in Australia! Situated 5km west of the tip of Australia. This beachfront campground also offers beachfront cabin accommodation as well as a restaurant and bar overlooking the beautiful waters of the Arafura Sea. There is a gorgeous crocodile carved from a downed tree and walking tracks. A beachside “tinny” bar and a volleyball net on the beach. https://www.capeyorkcamping.com.au/